Wednesday, May 14, 2014

CARCAR

Oh my heavens.  The weeks just keep getting busier and busier!  This week
has been by far the best week yet. It was insane starting out though.

Firstly, Wednesday.  I wake up Wednesday and am doing personal study andjust casually itch my leg to feel death pains as I do so.  I look down andsee my legs covered in about twenty huge red spots.  So I run down stairsin a panic to ask Sister Passey and Robidillo what is going on.  They tellme that it's probably just hives because I was nervous about transfers.  SoI was a little weirded out, but whatever.  As the day goes on, I stop bythe mission office just to be sure.  And the conclusion they gave me wasbeyond horrifying.  Beyond.  Are you ready for this?  Cockroach bites.  Yesmy friends, a cockroach climbed onto my bed and decided to just go to townon me.  I cried because it was the grossest thing I could possibly thinkof.  But now it's just really funny.  Welcome to my mission!  They actuallyturned into some pretty gnarly bruises on my legs.  Never fear, I tookphotos. We also went to the zoo last week.  Basically it was 20 pesos,
which equal 50 cents and I held two snakes, sat very near to and touched analligator, and had a bird sit on my head.  There were also some terrifyingmonkeys on chains who we threw crackers at so they didn't rip our handsoff.  And that was basically all the zoo had haha.  Packing was insanelynuts, and then that night the ward threw me a going away party.  You know,you really learn on a mission that you don't need to know someone a longtime to love them.  I knew these people for six weeks.  Six weeks and Ibarely even speak the language and I cried as I had to say goodbye to them.  The bishops wife made a ton of food and invited over some people from theward.  It was so special and fun.  Goodness, missions are stupid becauseyou leave your family and you cry, and then you meet people, they make youlove them and then you have to leave your new family and cry haha.  Itsreally hard here though, because saying goodbye, really could mean sayinggoodbye forever.  You can't just keep in touch the same way here, as if Iwas serving in Georgia or something  The people here are really amazing.

Thursday morning we got up and went to the mission office for transfer day. Through some miscommunication we ended up sitting in the mission officefor five hours waiting to leave.  You could say I was a little nervous.  Wefinally got onto a huge bus headed to Carcar.  I had to sit by myself inthe middle of a bunch of Filipinos.  So on the two hour bus ride, I spentabout one hour of it praying and one hour of it sleeping haha.  I woe up atone point to look out and see the ocean and rice patties, yeah, I'mdefinitely not in Kamputhaw anymore.  We got to our house, dropped our bagsand then went to the church to have a meeting with the ward mission leader.In the middle of the meeting out of the blue, Sister Passey just looked atme and said "Sister Beyer.  I am SO excited about this transfer".  Me too. It's going to be amazing.  Our house is completely picturesque.  It isblue.  Blue walls with blue trim and blue curtains.  We have a balcony andare you ready for this?  A shower!  It's only cold water, but I'mperpetually hot and sweaty, so I surely don't mind.  It's just so nice tohave a shower.  And our room has a swamp cooler?  So we live the good life. Our room is tiny and adorable and there is only room for our two beds.

I woke up Friday morning just feeling so so good.  I woke up smiling andready for the day.  It just feels right here.  Carcar is good for my soul. Because we are whitewashing, we just had to rely on the previous areabook.  Which is borderline non existent.  And so we just get to plan a partof our area, and go explore the coconut groves and rice patties and cornfields.  It is gorgeous.  And people are just coming out of the jungle totalk to us.  In our first day we saw so many miracles.  I wish I had timeto write down everything about this week.  We got up to the top of amountain and taught this perfect lesson to this family who has just gottenbaptized.  They live in the jungle on the top of a mountain and they makeshoes for a living.  They went in their backyard and picked us mangos toeat right then and there.  There are cows and goats and NICE CHICKENSeverywhere and it just felt so dang good. I couldn't stop smiling.  It justfelt so right here.  Like this is where I was always supposed to be. Sister Passey just looked over at me and grinned and said "Sister Beyer,welcome to your mission".  We are so busy.  We just go all day long.  It'sso ideal.  She is such a good trainer because it's her very last transfer,and she was an STL for nine months.  She just knows so much.  We are sobusy all the time because there is SO much work to do in our area, and notto mention it i her last area, so she really wants to just hit it hard. Never before was there a more perfect time to lose myself.  At the end ofFriday we just sat at the kitchen table so tired and so happy and Irealized that I didn't cry once that day.  For the first time in threemonths, I didn't cry.  I'm not saying that so you feel bad for me, I'msaying that because I feel so great.  Carcar is so good for my soul.  And Ihaven't cried since coming here.  It's really so great.  Sister Passeyknows how to push me in all the right ways.  She pushes me so hard everysingle day, but I'm improving so much already.  She told me she isn't goingto treat me like a trainee, as much as she is just going to treat me like ajunior companion.  She has some big goals for me, and she wants me to beable to completely hold my own in this area next transfer.  I've told youfrom day one, she is amazing.  But seriously, she is.  She is going tochange my entire mission, she already has, and as a result of that, she isgoing to change my life.

Saturday we were doing language study and she was just pushing me so sohard.  And I don't even know what happened.  The gift of tongues straightup happened and I taught so much in straight visaya (they don't call thelanguage cebuano here, it's visaya) I said things I had no idea I knew howto say.  After I finished teaching she just grinned at me an said "WellSister Beyer.  You can speak Visaya".  In one week my language has probablyimproved double what it was.  She has such good language, and by the end ofthis transfer I feel really confident that I can have good language too.Sunday was great too.  Goodness, every day is great this week haha. Churchwas great.  This ward is really solid, and they are so loving.  I made therecipe mom sent me for lunch which was so delicious.  Sister Passey and Iwere walking through the rice patties and coconut groves as the sun wassetting and we just looked at each other and said "how did we get SOlucky?"  How is this our life?  How did we get this mission call?  I know Iknow, all missions are great and custom made for the missionary, but thismission is just so incredible.

Monday I got to SKYPE!  It was so so great to talk to everyone.  I love youall so much.  Also, Sister Passey an I have the best companionship goalever, we want to eat one mango and one avocado a day because when else willbe be able to eat a fresh one of those every day again?

Yesterday was so busy again.  We started it off so perfectly.  We woke upat six and decided to go jogging.  Are you ready for this?  We went joggingthrough the jungle!  It was so invigorating and fun.  And you best believethat a cold shower felt actually like heaven afterwards.  Every night weget home and we are just so tired in all the best ways.  Last night we gothome and just laid on the kitchen floor, drank gallons of water, and atechocolate for dinner and laughed.  We have such a great friendship.  Wejust laugh all day long.  We work so hard, but we have so much fun alongthe way.  I've never been more tired, but it feels really good.  We are soincredibly similar.  I have a feeling that this kid and I were alwayssupposed to meet.  And that we're going to be best friends for a long time.


Today we woke up at 5 and got on a bus to come back to Kamputhaw haha.  Aswe were driving past the ocean the sun was rising.  How. Is. Carcar. So.Perfect?  We were able to go to the temple this morning.  It was my firsttime.  You know, there is something really special about going to thetemple as a missionary, in the place that you were always meant to go.  Idon't really know how to describe it.  But it was so special.  We were withabout 20 other missionaries.  It was just such a special experience.  I'mreally happy here.  I'm really enjoying Carcar and Sister Passey.  There'sreally never been a better time to lose myself in the work.  Goodness, this was such a great week.  I love you all.  I'll talk to you again nextweek!  Oh p.s. we figured out how to say YOLO in visaya.  PAGSOLO.  So lifeis perfect haha.  I love you.  Stay Strong!  

Love, Carlee

No comments:

Post a Comment