Monday, June 2, 2014

Faith is Power

I have made a grave mistake and I have put off writing this email because
one, there is so much to write.  And two, I was reading other funny emails.
 So now I'm staring at the countdown on my computer that says it turns off
in 39 minutes.  So I must speed type like there is no tomorrow.  This week
was once again, INCREDIBLE.
Wednesday:  We wake up at 6:00 and go jogging through the city.  The looks
we get are priceless. Two americans with their hair on top of their head in
a gnarly top knot jogging through the Philippines at the crack of dawn.
 It's flawless.  We decided to go to the mercado.  Um, basically like a
giant flea market slash farmers market?  Even at six in the morning it was
hopping.  It was so much fun.  We walked through the mercado as they are
just throwing fresh fish everywhere.  Also, straight up butchering huge
pigs and chickens and are also throwing that meat everywhere.  I nearly got
hit in the lead with a pig leg.  They are selling fresh flowers and rice
and bread and just everything.  It was absolutely crazy.  We had such a
good p day last week.  We bought some rockin Filipino pants.  You will
actually die when you see them.  Think parachute pants meets floral print
meets spandex.  They are so comfortable, and they are fab.  You will all
judge me, but once I come home and you truly behold their glory you will be
so jealous.  We also got some t shirts made.  Sister Passey and I have a
theme for this transfer, well, we have two.   The first is "Faith is Power"
but we'll talk about that later.  The other one we found as we were reading
through the quote book that Ashley sent me.  We were laying on our beds
staying up way too late talking and being best friends when we read one
that says "Be a lamp or a lifeboat or a ladder"  and we both just really
fell in love with it.  It goes along with a scripture that we also really
liked.  So we made shirts that say that and we love them.  One day you'll
get a picture of that too.  As we were shopping last week, we ran into one
of our investigators named Janine in the grocery store.  She has been
trying to get an answer to her prayers about whether the church is true for
weeks.  She ran up to us in the store and says "SISTERS!  I had a dream
last night that Heavenly Father told me the Book of Mormon is true! I'm
ready to get baptized!"  So then we all hug and cry in the middle of the
store.  At the end of p-day Sister Passey and I got to roadtrip!  She had
to go back to Cebu to get fingerprinted so that she can leave Cebu and go
home.  So we hopped in a car with some other missionaries in her batch
headed home and drove for two hours to Cebu.  It was really cool to just be
a fly on the wall with all of these missionaries that are in their last
transfer.  It really helped me to see what I want to achieve and who I want
to become.  It's so cool to have a companion in this stage of the game, as
such a young missionary.  I had two different missionaries tell me this
week that they had no idea I was so young in the mission because of how I
act.  That's becasue I have an incredible companion who teaches me all
wisdom and missionary knowledge!  We ended up having a sleepover in our old
apartment.  There were five of us sisters that slept in our old apartment
in Lahug on three mattresses pushed together on the kitchen floor haha.  It
was really fun.  Plus we both got to see our old companions and see how our
old areas are doing.
Thursday:  We wake up early and they drop me off at the mission office
while they go do paper work.  I hung out with one of the Senior
missionaries for six hours!  I just filed paper work for them and such.  I
was really hoping that Sister Ormsby would come in during that time, but
she didn't.  So still no package for me, hopefully this week.  Also, I just
need to tell you in advance that I barely have time to write in my journal
this transfer, so if you somehow magically get a letter know that it is
very special.  I just don't have a lot of time for writing.  As we
roadtripped back to Carcar Sister Passey and I talked a lot.  She has some
really big goals and dreams for me in this mission.  She really believes in
me so much.  She's helping me to catch a vision for the things I want to
accomplish and become.  I really love her.  When we got back that night we
helped a member clean their grass.  We swept their grass with brooms.  It
felt oddly Beyer in that moment.  I felt as if I was just at home working
with Dad.  Seriously, who sweeps grass other than dad?  No one.
Friday:  We were doing our weekly planning when we get a text from Marivic
(an investigator) who was supposed to have her baptisimal interview that
night.  She asks us if it is okay if she doesn't get baptized, if she just
keeps coming to church.  We finished weekly planning and got over to her
house as soon as we possibly could.  She was just nervous about the
interview.  She had her interview that night and she is so ready for
baptism.  I really love her.  So her baptism is THIS FRIDAY!  I'll send
pictures next week.  It's been so cool to work so hard with her and see her
change and really come to know her Savior and have a testimony of this
church.  A theme we had on Friday was "we just keep going" in all stages of
life, through good times and bad, you just gotta keep going.  Don't second
guess it, don't doubt, just keep going.  We talked a lot about that as we
walked.
Saturday we were teaching a sassy less active man named Enimissio.  I adore
him.  We taught a really good lesson. The spirit was so strong.  And then
we asked him at the end if he had any questions.  And he said "Well, I do.
 But I already know the answer to it.  I want to ask why you're here.  But
I already know why.  God sent you to me because it's really time that I
come back" Being a missionary is so cool!  We went to another less active
members house and they ask if they can give us a snack real quick.  The
Filipinos love snacks, and I love them for their love of snacks.  Usually
snacks involve tang (prononced tong) and bisquits.  Pronounce that how it
sounds.  A bisquit can be a cookie or a cracker.  It can be very startling.
 However, sometimes snacks also include softdrinks and bread.  I'm such a
fan of softdrinks.  Coke has never tasted so good.  And do not get me
started on sprite.  So they offer us snacks.  We say yes.  They bring out a
meal.  Coke in MARTINI GLASSES.  We were dying as we sipped our fancy
softdrink.  And then they brought out bihon, which is a noodle dish.  And a
loaf of bread.  However the bread isn't sliced, so they just start ripping
it off in chunks and giving it to us to eat like Aladdin.  So I eat my huge
plate of bihon that was plenty sufficient for one person and then I'm
eating my chunk of bread when he fills up my plate with an incredible
amount of food again.  I don't speak this language.  So I jsut eat it.
 Well, that happened two more times.  I had FOUR PLATES OF BIHON.  And
three chunks of bread.  Sister Passey was crying from laughter.  I will say
though, it was a delicious snack.  That night there was a huge musical
production of who knows what but it was so loud.  And it was right by our
house.  I kid you not, it was as if we were sitting on the stage it was so
loud.  They sang a song complete with dancing and costumes and lights that
says over and over and over again "welcome to cebu"  the biggest part of
this is that the party started at 10:00.  And I kid you not it did not end
until 1:00 in the morning.  I have no words to adequately describe to you
how loud it was.
Sunday:  Sister Passey and had nothing to do that morning but had to be
awake.  So we had girltalk at 6:30 in the morning.  Welcome to a mission
haha.  We went to church and there was a little boy who came named Clark.
 He is 13 and we didn't ever even really teach him.  He just joined his
neighbors lesson one time.  What thirteen year old comes to church by
himself at 9:00 in the morning?  He really loved it too.  And he just held
onto the little pamphlet we gave him.  He lives really far away from the
church too.  It was such a cool experience.  As we were walking around that
afternoon we taught a woman who wanted to give us a snack as well.  This
snack was spaghetti with hotdogs in it and half a loaf of bread each.  I
kid you not I had five slices of bread.  And once more my plate was filled
three times.  I was just eating it fast to attempt to be a good little anak
(child) and then teach our lesson.  Well Sister Passey finally tells me
AFTER that I'm eating it too fast and they will continue to fill my plate.
 But she let this happen to me because she knew that if I was eating that
much she wouldn't have to!  Seriously what a punk.  Then as we were walking
we saw this huge snail.  We asked a man who was walking past what the word
for snail was in Visaya.  He informs us that it is "miracle"  I kid you not
the man tried to tell us that a snail is a miracle.  We laughed so hard we
literally sat on the side of the road.  This is the transfer of miracles,
and now we have a mascot.  We went home that night and made wanna be rice
crispies and all was well in the world.  Also the fiesta continued,
complete with bingo.
Monday:  I crossed my first river!  The river was up really high and was
over the bridge, so I walked up to my shins in a river, and there were
carribou hanging out in the river.  IT was really fun.  My mission is such
an adventure.  Also we were teaching a woman who happened to live in Japan
for a year or two.  So I started using my Japanese skills and we were
talking in Japanese IN THE PHILIPPINES.  What is my life?  We taught Linda
Rachu again, and she comitted to be baptized. And in celebration she fed us
a delicious meal.  Seriously, I don't even know what happened but as a
missionary I just love food.  I was just going to town on this huge chunk
of fish spitting out bones just happy as can be.  Who am I?
Tuesday:  Yesterday was a really special day.  We had the opportunity to
get on a bus and travel an hour and a half to go see a woman in our ward
who is dying.  She has lupus and is only 25.  She is so sick and she really
doesn't have much time left.  As we planned for her Sister Passey and I had
a really special spiritual experience and decided to share D&C 38 with her.
 As we were on the bus to go there we were just winding through these
beautiful mountains.  And then we are along the coast.  We drove along the
coast through the mountains for about 45 minutes.  We walked in to see
Jessica and she immediately just said "I've been waiting for you"  she has
been waiting for two weeks for missionaries to be able to come.  We had
such a tender lesson with her.  She cried and bore her testimony that she
knows everything happens for a reason, and how excited she is to soon be in
the embrace of heavenly father.  She knows that the plan of salvation is
real, and she knows that this gospel is so true.  We all just sat in her
home and cried and bore testimony.  Being a missionary is incredible.  I
really felt that I was able to be the Lord's hands yesterday.  We got home
and the fiesta somehow still continued.  Sister Passey and I know have it
memorized, in 14 months we will give you all a lovely rendition of "welcome
to cebu".  Man, the time is going by so so fast.  It's crazy how fast it's
going.  I'm really going to miss Sister Passey.  But I know that we really
are going to be friends after this.  I've met some incredible people.  Life
is really good.  I love you all so much.  I know that faith really is a
real power.  I know that the only way that Sister Passey and I are able to
see so many miracles and so many incredible things is because we have the
faith to believe they can happen.  I've learned a lot about faith.  It's so
real.  Faith is power my friends.  Stay strong.
Love,
Sister Beyer

No comments:

Post a Comment