Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Call










This email is going to be a crazy one.  It has been one heck of a day.  Let me paint you this picture.  I'm sitting in an internethan with no shoes.  I'm wearing jeans that are covered in mud up to my  knees, my arms are covered in mud, and I'm sopping wet from head to toe.  Yes, this is how Sister Beyer is looking right now.  It's been quite the day.  I'm fighting against the clock as usual.  We came to email earlier, but the entire city had a brown out for hours. So we had no idea what to do.  We had a zone activity to go to this random zoo.  But it was pouring rain.  We had to hike up a mountain to get to said zoo, and the path ways were all flooded.  I was wearing vans, and was trying to keep them from getting muddy, but eventually, we had to cross a river.  There was no hope.  So we just tromped on through.  We went to this zoo, it was random and small and I fed a monkey, and then we had to hike down.  But our shoes were sliding all over the place.  So we all just took off our shoes and hiked down.  We came back with exactly 2.5 hours of pday left and decided to see if the power was back on.  Somehow, this internethan got power again.  So we ran in, but had to take off our shoes because we were so dirty.  We are quite the sight to behold.  I don't have a ton of time truthfully, so I'll go as fast as I can.  Like I said.  This was a crazy week.  I'll just go through a few of the highlights of the week.
Wednesday:  I bought a full piece jumpsuit.  It has ruffels and a collar and cats and polka dots on it.  I look gwapa in it, and I'll wear it home and all the fellas will melt over me.  Also, I rode a toy panda bear bumper car thing in the middle of the Gaisanos.  It was 5 pesos.  It was made for children. Everyone stared and I regret nothing at all.  
Thursday:  It was the one year mark since I got my mission call.  That's a crazy thing to wrap your mind around.  We had our zone training meeting that day, and were able to learn some great things.  Sister Wilcox has been on this kick lately of only eating with her hands, and she makes all of us join in on the madness.  So we have been eating almost all of our meals with our hands only.  We went and visited Edgardo's family that day.  They invited us over for lunch.  We went and ate, and then shared with them about Joseph Smith.  I love those people.  I hope that we can help them to find more peace. I just feel like I've always somehow known them.  
Friday:  It poured rain all day long.  I got home and was freezing.  I looked at my alarm clock to see the temperature certain that it was at least 60 degrees.  It was 85.  This is what my life has come to.  I was shivering, and I planned that night with a blanket on.  Watch out for when I get home.  I'm going to perish.  
Saturday:  We woke up and I decided to make conference breakfast.  I made Flaming Gorge scramble breakfast and french toast.  We went to conference and the fire alarm was going off!  Some little kids had ran in and pulled the fire alarm.  It was madness.  But we were able to get it shut off right before conference started.  Sadly, it was only missionaries for the first session, but  I just ate every word up.  I loved conference this year.  
Sunday:  Our housemate bonding of the day, was that we all had to have french braids.  Heaven help us all.  The Sunday session of conference was absolutely amazing!  In between conference, some of the members pulled us in and shared with us their lunch they had brought.  It was a really sweet lunch, really simple, but it was amazing.  I adore these sweet saints.  Sunday also happened to be my 8 months in the field.  CRAZY.  I love that conference weekend always falls on one of my month marks.  The Sunday afternoon session was absolutely amazing.  I felt like it was so relatable to my life.  To me personally!  It was amazing.  
Monday:  Literally, not a lot happened haha.  Worked and walked and taught.  :)
Tuesday:  I was able to go on splits with Sister Minguez.  I feel like I learned so much from her yesterday.  We had the opportunity to teach a woman who was alive during World War II.  She was really little here, but she remembers the Japanese invading, and having to hide in the mountains, and not being able to light a fire, because the Japanese had snipers and were looking for people in the mountains.  Both her parents died during the time of WWII.  And she remembers the Americans soldiers who helped her.  I told her my grandpa served over here during that time, and she thanked me for his service.  That was a crazy cool feeling.  We were able to teach her about the plan of salvation, which was also an amazing experience I'll never forget.  Yesterday night we went over to the Andersons, and there was Sister Anderson all cute wearing an apron, she ushered us in and kicked Elder Anderson out and we all ate dinner together and watched womens conference which was also amazing.  She made shepherds pie, which just so happens to be one of my absolute favorites.  And that was the week, it was absolutely crazy.  But I have some thougths I wanted to share.  
Like I said, I got my mission  call one year ago, and I also hit 8 month mark this week.  I was thinking about conference this time last year.  My oh my how things have changed. I remember listened to conference, and them announcing the amount of full time missionaries serving, and knowing that they had recently assigned my call, and that I was among one of those counted.  I remember just listening in awe, wondering where I would be listening from this year.  I remember getting the text from the bishop that my call would be there on Wednesday and running into the house screaming at the top of my lungs with mom.  I remember waking up way too early on Wednesday morning and calling the post office until they answered, and then screaming again because IT WAS THERE.  I remember the drive to the post office with mom, because we had to go get it ourselves, we simply couldn't wait for the mail man.  I remember just having it sit on the kitchen table until 7:30 when we finally opened it.  I remember how crazy nervous I was, how my thoughts were that I was totally going stateside.  HA.  And then I opened it up and the first thing I saw were passport papers!  Reading of a tiny island I had never heard of, that I couldn't even pronounce, and a language I had NO CLUE ABOUT.  And being filled with peace that it was right.  I somehow knew that it was exactly where I needed to be.  And flash forward to a year later.  I'm so grateful for that mission call.  I know that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.  I'm so grateful for that big white envelope.  I'm so grateful I"m on this island I didn't know existed.  The last year has been so crazy.  But I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father was so patient with me, especially the last eight months that I've been a missionary.  I'm surely not perfect, and I have made mistakes along the way.  But I'm so grateful he trusted me enough to send me here and let me figure it out.  I think back to a year ago, I had no idea how drastically my life would change.  But I love it so much.  I'm so grateful for this.  I was so filled with love as I listened to the prophets and apostles speak.  We are so lucky to have living prophets and apostles.  I found that at the end of conference, I was just longing for more!  When the heck did conference stop feeling long and boring?  I just ate it up.  And I looked at those men, and I was so grateful that they had prayed over my picture, and known to send me here.  I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.  I'm endlessly grateful for this mission.  I love you all.  I'll talk to you soon.
Love, 
Sister Carlee Beyer

1 comment:

  1. There are lots of things that you can do in Cebu. A lot of interesting tourist spots and outdoor activities you can visit in one or two days of stay.. if you are looking for someone to help you with your tour, I can recommend http://www.cebutours.ph/

    ReplyDelete