Tuesday, January 6, 2015

the race.

Here it is friends, the first week of 2015 is down.  It was a relatively unneventful week truthfully, just lots of good missionary work happening.  So I have no complaints.  
Last Thursday was an adventure, because everything in the entire city was closed, so we adventured to find the only internethan and the only restaraunt open in the city.  And the internethan gave us a key chain as a new years gift hahaha.  And then it seemed like the entire branch suddenly had the same realization, because everyone started looking at me with sad eyes and saying "sister beyer, it's almost the fifteenth" which is transfer day.  You would think that staying another transfer would make it easier to leave, but it is actually so much harder.  That's been a big theme this week, is everyone getting ready to say goodbye to me.  THey all know I've been here for four transfers, and that I'm probably going.  There has already been some tears!  So this next week should be interesting.  
Friday we taught our new IBD Liza. She is so amazing.  She is a referral from a member of the branch, and she is beyond golden.  She came to church after we taught her the first time.  She loved it.  She takes notes in her book of mormon, and she asked us about a temple, and then got teary eyed when we taught her about it.  This girl is getting baptized ASAP!  It also rained all day on Friday, and was a tad bit chilly (okay, it was 85 degrees don't judge me!) so I went home that night and had some lovely hot cider.
Saturday:  We started the year off right by havin a baptism!  We were able to baptize Renante.  He is so cool.  He was a bible baptist missionary for seven years before, and then we met him.  He got into the water and before he was even baptized he started to cry.  He bore such a strong testimony that this is the truth.  And then he thanked me and Sister Villacorte for helping him to find the light while he was drowning in the darkness.  That feeling never, ever ets old.  
Sunday:  It was fast sunday, and I realized it would probably be my very last fast and testimony meeting ever in San Carlos.  It was my sixth that I've been here.  I felt like I should get up and bear my testimony.  I told them that I found my family here, and that i knew that this was all true.  I know it so strongly now.  And I told them that because of their amazing faith, mine has grown so much.  And then later I found a little pink teddy bear all wrapped up in my bag.  No one would tell me who it was from until a few days later, it came out that it was from Detche, a branch missionary who I'm super close with.  
Monday:  Not a lot happened.  Just missionary work.  :)  I was able to bear my testimony of Jesus Christ in district meeting.  IT is amazing how it has changed over the months.  He is so much more real to me now than I ever thought possible.  I truly do love being His missionary.  
Tuesday:  A really weird thing happened.  I saw an airplane in the sky.  Airplanes don't fly over this part of the Philippines.  And if little kids see an airplane they all run outside and scream and jump up and down with pure excitement.  It was the strangest thing in the world to look up through the palm trees and see a tiny white airplane, and remember that life exists outside of this tiny island that I live on.  
Alright.  Time to type like the wind.  When Sister Wilcox was very first here two transfers ago, someone sent her a poem called "the race".  She read it to us, and we each cried a bit, because we could each picture a specific moment in our lives and in our missions.  It's about a little boy who runs a race and falls, but his father urges him to get up and win that race.  He runs and falls twice more, with no hope of winning he wants to get up.  But his father urges him again to "get up and win that race".  It kind of became our theme and our motto for that transfer.  Well, the transfer ended and sister wilcox went hom.  And then last transfer, I was talking to Sister Minguez and I just felt discouraged, I just felt like I couldn't do it. And she just looked at me and said, "sister beyer.  get up and win that race".  It got me thinking again about that poem, but I didn't really have any way of getting it.  Well, Heavenly Father is mighty aware of little old me.  During the typhoon I was deep cleaning the house.  Including the book shelf with well over 100 liahonas.  I was going through them and throwing away some of the old ones when I went to throw one away, and a paper fell out.  I picked it up, and lo and behold, it was the poem!  A tender mercy gani!  I've read it time and time again, and some parts I love are:  
"get up and echo sounded low, you haven't lost at all.  For all you have to do to win is rise each time you fall.  Get up the echo urged him on. Get up and take your place!  You were not meant for failure here!  Get up and win that race!"  And then at the very end  "And now when things seem dark and bleak and difficult to face, the memory of that little boy helps me in my own race.  For all of life is like that race, with ups and downs and all.  Amd all you have to do to win is rise each time you fall.  And when depression and despair shout loudly in my face, another voice within me says, get up and win that race"
When I Think of my mission, it is a blur of pictures and moments that flash through my mind.  But there are certain moments that just stand out and I can pinpoint them so vividly as a time when I raelly changed.  One of those was in Carcar when I did the study "and run".  I think of it often, and I've been thinking about it with this poem. 
Hebrews 12:1 "let us lay aside every weight and the sins wich doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race set before us"
and D&C 128:22 "bretheren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?  Go forward and not backward!  Courage brethren; and on, on to victory!"
I love the scriptures.  I love how real they've become to me.  How real and relatable and encouraging.  So this week my dears, let us run!  And on, on to victory.  For all you have to do to win, is rise each time you fall.  :)  Stay Strong, huh?  I love you.
Love,
Sister Carlee Beyer

No comments:

Post a Comment